Fall Mini Sessions Now Booking! Get your spot before they’re gone!Read More
We had the joy of taking a week long trip to our favorite family friendly beach resort outside of Charleston, Wild Dunes, a few weeks ago. Both of our boys are at the absolute BEST ages for the beach (G is almost 2 and L is 4 1/2) and they could have played in the sand and ocean all day long if we had let them. We ate endless popsicles, ice cream, and junk food; stayed up past our bedtime; took epic afternoon naps; and even assembled a 1000 piece puzzle (well, really 996 pieces because it was missing 4 pieces!). I think one of my most favorite parts is having unlimited time each day to capture my kids in their happiest element... no schedules or places to be, no rushing out the door, no mom or dad having to work, just present, (mostly) happy, and in their kid element! I brought four different kinds of cameras with me, and these are just the images I captured from my dslr! I also had my phone camera, our fujifilm instax, some black and white disposable film cameras, and a "go pro" knock off I purchased on amazon (can you tell I have a true photography obsession, ha!). It is truly my favorite week of the year! (***See the next paragraph for an exciting JPP announcement!***)
***Also, now that we are back from vacation, I'm in full fall busy season mode. If you want to be the first to know my fall availability as well as mini session dates, be sure to sign up for the Jenny Perry Photography email list. I'll be sending out those dates via email THIS WEEK, so don't miss out!
I love how these popsicle photos turned out. I walked outside from our air conditioned house into the heat and humidity of the lowcountry. My lens immediately fogged up and would not completely dissipate. I decided to begin shooting anyways, and it made for such a beautiful haze on the outer edges of the photographs. These are just a sampling, but I love them!
I've been asked many times, "Why should I do a full session when we could just do a mini session?" Well let me tell you, there are many reasons! I'll just jump right into it!
Who is a good fit for a Mini Session?
- Families who just want a couple of updated family photos for their holiday card. This is the BEST use of mini sessions and why I do them in the fall! If you want a bunch of combinations, kids alone, mom with kids, dad with kids, you're much more likely to be happy with your outcome if we do a full lifestyle session. Sometimes, kids will come ready to go and we can get plenty of options, and other times that 15 minutes was just enough time to get a couple good family shots and that's it!
- Families who have older kids (around four and up) and just want a full family session once every couple of years. Typically, older kids have a little more patience and can work with me better to knock out some family photos and a few other combinations in that fifteen minutes.
- Those of you who want a quick "in and out" session. Again, like above, if you're not wanting a bunch of combinations of photos, a mini session is perfect to get that family shot and be done. It took me a few years to realize, as a parent, that I have little control over my kids at a portrait session. What I did learn over time was that my demeanor greatly impacted how they acted during the session. If you're wanting to make the most of your time, make a concerted effort to come calm, happy, and flexible with your kids. Kids will be kids, even at photo sessions! It is my job to work with their sillies and make the best photos out of them. So just follow my lead, and we will make the absolute most of your mini session if that's what you choose!
Here are some examples of what to expect from a mini session:
Who is a good fit for a full Lifestyle Session?
- Those of you who want a relaxed session with plenty of time to capture your family naturally. The beauty of a lifestyle session is there is "down time" between the more posed shots to let life happen. Those snuggles you love with your kids, the giggles from the tickle monster, the jumping your little boys like to do or twirling your little girls love, all of those are things I'll be able to capture at a full lifestyle session.
- Families with younger children (specifically three and under). Younger kids just take more time to get comfortable in a new setting. A full session allows for plenty of time to let the kids get used to me and used to the camera. It also allows them to "get their sillies out" and take breaks during the session, which I've found to be so helpful with young children.
- Parents who want more options! If it's been a while since you've had a full family session and you're really looking to get all the combinations (family, kids individually, kids together, mom with kids, and dad with kids) captured; then a full family session allows for plenty of (not rushed) time to capture those things.
- Someone who wants more time customizing your session and discussing the styling for your family. This is an often overlooked aspect of photos. While I will certainly send suggestions for mini sessions and give guidance, I send lifestyle session clients an individual email that is customized to their family. We can go back and forth to find the perfect fit for your family both with location and outfits. It truly makes such a huge difference in the outcome of your photos and I can't stress it enough!
- A family that wants control over their location and date! Sure, with a mini session you will be choosing if you do your mini at one of the offered parks outdoors or at the studio. However, when we do a lifestyle session we will discuss several locations available to your family... parks, your home, the studio, so many options!
Here are examples of what to expect from a lifestyle session:
If you're still unsure which type of session would be right for you, just ask! Send me an email and let's chat. I'm always happy to discuss questions and concerns with clients. And if you want to be the first to know about fall family session dates and mini session dates, be sure to get on my email list. Just click here!
I've been doing a LOT of studio sessions lately... and I'm loving it! Studios are a great opportunity for timeless, classic, stunning photographs. There are several other variables that make them a fantastic location option for your family, milestone, or even newborn session.
1. Great light, all day. No need to worry if your living room or master bedroom has enough light in your home. The studio has beautiful light whether it be morning or afternoon, cloudy or sunny.
2. No need to worry about rain, extreme tempertures, humidity, or any unexpected weather.
3. Kids are contained!
4. You don't have to clean your house! Haha!
5. No matter where we turn, there is a beautiful background for your photos.
6. Kids can be themselves, without getting filthy!
7. Neutral furniture and backdrops for timeless photos to let you shine.
I have two local studios from which to choose when deciding on a studio location for your session. To inquire for rates or discuss scheduling your session, visit my contact page.
Saturday, April 28, 2018
15 minute session
Online gallery of edited images
5 digital files
Option to purchase additional digitals or prints
Styling consultation via email
$200 (50% retainer required at time of booking)
Outdoors at a park in Atlanta
8:00am - booked
8:20am - booked
8:40am - booked
9:00am - booked
9:25am - booked
9:45am - booked
To book your session, please email email@example.com (or use my contact form) with your top two preferred times.
*I may add an additional date in studio depending on interest:
Afternoon of Saturday, May 12. Please email me if you are interested.
I'm honored and humbled to have been able to be a part of the Shootproof campaign for International Women's Day 2018. Being featured with many other incredibly talented women photographers is truly humbling. I'm so proud of what they've put together and the story it tells. Being a woman means so many things to me, but the word I think of most is STRENGTH. We have to be strong for ourselves, be strong for other women who have encountered diversity, and be strong for our children and show them that nothing will stop us.
There are two disclaimers for this video:
1. There are a couple graphic but beautiful images relating to breast cancer.
2. I was interviewed for over an hour, and of course the two minutes I cried is what made the cut. Ha! But it's completely from the heart and how I feel. I'm so fortunate to be able to tell so many wonderful people's stories at such a raw and vulnerable time in their lives. What a blessing I get to do this for my JOB!
I hope you enjoy this powerful short video. And here is the link to the full ShootProof blog post.
I haven't blogged in almost three months... this fall was BUSY! But, I'm back and ready to share with you my most recent session. I have a lot to catch up on, but couldn't wait one more minute to share this one.
I had promised to take the majority of December off... but this mama contacted me and for some reason I just couldn't say no. Plus, they were the first family that agreed to my suggestion of using Park Studios for our location. It may be a small additional rental fee, but I'm telling you... it's worth it! The stunning white space and furnishings are perfect for a relaxed lifestyle family or newborn session, and it's also great for milestone sessions (I'm doing three there tomorrow!).
Upon meeting this sweet family, I knew we would have a great session, and boy was that an understatement. These images embody what I hope to deliver to my clients. Pure, natural, and simple, yet full of emotion and love. Honestly, the session felt like we were just hanging out and getting to know each other. It was so much FUN! Our goals for the session were to get some great family shots, and some great shots of daddy and baby girl. We accomplished that and then some. This session has my heart. Thank you so much for trusting me with such a precious time for your new family of three Pollard family. It was an absolute pleasure working with you!
This sweet girl looked just like a baby doll when I swaddled her up and her delicate features and head full of dark hair was so striking. As usual, I completely swooned over the nursery her mama had put together and loved all the light that came into that room! I also loved watching their little pup interact with the new kid in town. We have a yorkie, so I obviously have a special place in my heart for other yorkie families. What a fun time I had documenting your newest family member G family! Thank you for having me!
When the mama at my newborn session is this stunning I just can't help myself from taking a zillion photos! And guys, when you take my attire recommendations to heart, we get such great results! The lightness of her shirt adds to the light, bright feeling of the photo, while the texture gives it interest. And look at that sweet baby girl's smile... I just can't with this photo. It's one of my favorites from all my newborn sessions this year! This family was just precious and I so enjoyed their session. Here's a sneak into the rest of the session:
I've been photographing the G family since their daughter was just a baby. So to watch these two kiddos grow over the years and see them love on their grandparents was an absolute treat. And can we talk about the fog and light?! Gah... I'm a sucker for it, and we got some awesome light that morning. It was hot and sticky, but you'd never know it from these pictures! They are the most beautiful family and such loyal clients. Knowing that they could choose whichever photographer they want and they continue to choose me... well it makes me incredibly appreciative.